Dog Windows

February 19, 2014

dog window-2 copy
dog window-3 copydog window-4 copy
dog window-1dog window-5 copy

We’ve all heard of a dog door, but have you ever heard of a dog window?  Studies show that dogs tend to be less stressed in environments where they can visually see what’s going on outside of their confined spaces.  That’s why we’re seeing more and more kennels and canine boarding facilities incorporating runs and cages with glass doors and partitions vs. solid.  It is said that by expanding a dog’s visual horizon it can actually have a calming effect- making them bark less and relax a little more.  It’s an interesting concept, and one that can easily be in incorporated into your own dog-friendly home.  All you have to do is add a few strategically placed windows.  Above are some examples I found on Houzz.  I think it’s pretty neat how a low level window can not only potentially improve your dog’s mood, it can also provide a unique and visually dynamic design element.  Check out more possible dog windows in The Barkitect’s “Pet’s Perspective”  ideabook on Houzz.

Image Sources (from top to bottom): One, Two, Three, Four, Five

{ 7 comments }

Priscillia February 20, 2014 at 12:25 AM

very nice idea

Becky Valentine February 20, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Thank you for the comment, Priscillia. I’m glad you like the idea :)

Jessica March 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I rent now, but like this idea for the future. At least now I can make sure my dog has access to the windows instead of keeping curtains and blinds over the ones he can reach. I can also strategically rearrange my furniture so he can reach others, too. Thank you!

Madeline [madelinemade] April 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM

this is such a wonderful idea. i know my lab would appreciate it; he loves to see his surroundings. nice site!

Becky Valentine April 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Thank you, Madeline! If your lab is anything like my Danes, I’m sure he would appreciate it too. It’s a great way to open up their view and expand their horizons while still keeping them indoors. Thank you for the kind words about my site as well!

Evelyn April 16, 2014 at 8:20 PM

This is brilliant! Thanks for the great post. We have a chair by a window in the spare room (nowadays the doggies room). We also have a camera that we can access through our phones when we are not home. My dog, the oldest, spends most of his time there looking out the window. I totally agree with you, dogs need to know what is going around them… It will help them to stay calm and relaxed. Thanks again! ;)

Becky Valentine April 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Thank you, Evelyn! I’m glad to hear that your dog enjoys looking out the windows as much as mine do! And what a great idea with the camera to check on them!

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: